You put a lot of effort into finding the right house, and now that your closing is just days away, you're finally ready to start calling your new place home. Before this can happen, however, you
5 Steps To Take Before Hiring A Home Improvement Contractor
Spring is here and with it home repair and improvement season starts.
Follow these 5 steps to make sure you don't fall for a scam.
1. Make sure you research the contractor. Get references from previous clients, choose contractors that have work for people that you know. Check with the Division of Consumer Affairs, 1-800-242-5846 or online before hiring a contractor, is the only way to find out if they are licensed to work in N.J.
2. Get a copy of their liability insurance policy and call the insurance company listed to make sure is legit.
3. If your project is going to cost $500 or more get a copy of the written contract stating name, address, registration number of the contractor, start date, completion date, description of the work to be done and the total price.
4. Get all guarantees and warranties in writing, the quality-grade of the materials as well as the brands they will use. Check with the city that all constructions permit were issued before the project starts.
5. Don't pay up front, and if they ask to be paid up front better choose another contractor. Don't give in to demands for more cash before a project is finished. State rule is to pay 1/3 or 25% in advance, 25% again when the project is half way done and the rest of the contracted price when the project is done.
These are the 31 N.J. home improvement contractors cited for $397K in violations that you should avoid.
|Unique Painting & Home Improvement||South River||Unregistered|
|Cardinals Roofing Siding Windows, LLC||Totowa||Unregistered|
|Cipollone Construction Company, Inc.||Margate||Unregistered|
|Atlas General Contracting||Toms River||Unregistered|
|Mountain Management Corp.||Pompano Beach, FL||Unregistered|
|Cinalli Construction Management and Design Limited Liability Company d/b/a Cinalli Construction, L.L.C.||Marlton, NJ||Unregistered|
|Joseph A. Uhrig General Contractor||Mountain Lakes||Unregistered|
|Glenn Haas Construction||Ocean View||Unregistered|
|Stanley Home Improvement LLC||Cherry Hill||Unregistered|
|Demo 2 Design Limited Liability Company||Morristown||Unregistered|
|Luigi Construction and Landscaping Inc||Orange||Registered|
|Majestic Home Remodeling d/b/a Daruwe Corp||Marlton||Registered|
|Rundstrom Construction Limited Liability Company||Westmont||Unregistered|
|AAA Liner Replacements Corporation||Scotch Plains||Registered|
|J.C. & Son Construction Limited Liability Company||Paterson||Registered|
|Integrated Landscape Management Limited Liability Company||Metuchen||Registered|
|Jeremy Lennon d/b/a JML Home Improvement||Rio Grande||Registered|
|Jason Wallace d/b/a Wallace Construction & Design||Union||Unregistered|
|Kenneth B. Gibbons t/a Quality Pools Service||Cinnaminson||Unregistered|
|Allcare Heating and Cooling, LLC||Howell||Unregistered|
|Creative Solutions and Design Limited Liability Company||Howell||Registered|
|Luis Velasquez d/b/a Liberty Gates & Iron Works||Jersey City||Unregistered|
|Gregg Rivera d/b/a Gregg R. Colletta Painting and Drywall||Toms River||Unregistered|
|John P. Ireland t/a Atlantic Pools||Absecon||Unregistered|
|Ermal Rustemlliu d/b/a Tri State Construction||Little Falls||Unregistered|
|Quality Roofing & Contracting LLC||Little Falls||Registered|
|Michael Morrissey t/a Trabo Contracting||Hackettstown||Registered|
|Mark A. Yanzuk||Paulsboro||Unregistered|
|Shane L. Bowles t/a SL B Contracting||Forked River||Unregistered|
Latest Blog Posts
If you thought about selling your house this year, now may be the time to do it. The inventory of homes for sale is well below historic norms and buyer demand is skyrocketing. We were still in high